Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks
The Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks (NSCF) is an organization of approximately 1000 members with a history of more than 50 years of working to advance and improve the sport of cross country skiing in Fairbanks and the Interior of Alaska. Major NSCF programs include:
- Trails and Grooming – the NSCF employs a grooming staff which uses the NSCF’s extensive fleet of winter grooming equipment (1 x PB200, 2 x Sherpa Alpinas, 5 x Ski-Doo Skandic) as well as equipment used for summer trail maintenance and construction. The Birch Hill Recreation Area includes the 17Km Jim Whisenhant Trails system, all of which accommodates both classic and skating. Skiers’ options are augmented by another 17Km of skate/classic trails on the adjoining lands of the Fort Wainwright US Army post, as well as approximately 10Km of classic-only trails on Fort Wainwright lands.
- FXC (Fairbanks Cross Country) – FXC is the junior race program of the Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks. In its 10 years of existence it has grown to over 100 skiers and is one of the foremost club programs in the state and nation.
- Junior Nordic – the NSCF’s Junior Nordic Program provides an introduction to the sport and instruction to more than 200 skiers of elementary and junior high ages
- Adult Lessons – the NSCF offers lessons to adults of all levels, from brand-new skiers to experienced skiers wishing to refine their technique
- Touring – the Fairbanks area offers a limitless number of opportunities for tours, and the NSCF organizes a series of tours throughout the winter
- Competition Events – the NSCF’s Competition Events program organizes several series and events throughout the winter, including the Kinross Fort Knox Town Race Series (four races), the Buetow Dental/Raven Cross Country Distance Series (three events), the Alaska Coffee Roasting Company Turkey Day Relays, two USSA NRL Junior National Qualifying races (Besh Cup), Regional High School Championships, the Denali State Bank Sonot Kkaazoot 50Km/40Km/20Km as well as periodically organizing major FIS and National Championship events.
Major events organized by Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks:
- FIS Men’s World Cup – 1984
- USSA Junior National Championships – 1977, 1995, 2003, 2013
- USSA Spring Series/Distance National Championships – 2008, 2009, 2017
- Arctic Winter Games – 1982, 1988, 2014
Following the 2003 USSA Junior Nationals, the Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks was presented the USSA’s Paul Bacon award for event organization.